Monday, July 20, 2009

Oh, Joy

Well, my somewhat firm resolve to stop posting silly videos in lieu of actual posts has broken. Partly because I don't have too much to say, and partly because I think these next couple flicks are hilarious. And you all deserve a dose of hilarity in your days. Who am I to deny you that joy?

I loved watching the Muppet Show when I was little. I think, of all the members of our family, I loved it the most. I figure this to be true since I have memories of whining to keep the channel on the Muppet Show, and no one supported me.

Actually, it just occurred to me that that may have had nothing to do with their love for the Muppets, but rather with their disdain for my whining.

Hm.

Anyway.

One reason to love the Muppets is that they can take something serious or stuffy, like classical music, and make it accessible to more people. Exhibit A:



I love that the violin caught on fire... that is some intense friction.


Another great aspect of the Muppets is their ability to take cultural pieces and bring them to people of other nations. Exhibit B:




And I think that anyone who has played that song umpteen times in band will find that funny. I also love how Animal only seems to know the first few words: "Oh Danny Boy... oh... boy...". Which, can probably be said of a lot of people. "Oh, Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling.... um... Danny... Boy...something something something." The words to the song really are beautiful, but I never would have known them if hadn't had a CD that happened to have that song on it. Funny how that happens. But we (as band people) can't be blamed - our job is to play notes, not sing words, and adding the words to our music would only cause confusion and missed cues.

1 comment:

Lunicrax said...

Lol. I'm a muppet fanatic as well. Esp Beaker and Kermit. Luckily my family supported my obsession. In fact, when they broadcast teh show in Sweden, I was about 4 and could neither udnerstand ENglish, nor read the subtitles. But I still loved it. And since I've been able to see reruns of some. But I still get so happy I can almost not contain myself when I see the intro, because that's how I felt at 4.