Friday, June 12, 2009

Taxes (but no death!)

So, I just finished putting together my tax paperwork for last year. Since I was in the US for pretty much all of the year, I only had US taxes to file. Now, before anyone looks at their calendar, realizes that it is several weeks past April 15th, and has a minor heart attack on my behalf - don't worry! Since I'm no longer in the country, I have an extension. Until June 15th. Which is Monday. But I didn't leave it to the last minute - I have a whole 2 days until then!

Anyway, after finding my W-2 and 1042-S forms (I had put them in a "safe place" when I moved; a place so safe, I couldn't find them even when I wanted to), I got to work. Line 17, Box 2, add, deduct, etc. And I eventually found that I did, indeed, owe taxes on part of my income from last year: 9 dollars in taxes.

9 dollars.

What a stupid number!

On one hand, I'm certainly glad it's not any higher. On the other hand, it seems a little silly to have to pay such a small amount (I checked for any way out of it since the total was so small, but only when your total tax owed equals less than one dollar are you exempt from paying). So, Monday morning, I will head to the post office and file my taxes, along with a cheque for $9. The government certainly seems to want it. But I wonder what they'll do with it? What can the government of the United States of America buy with $9?
Some options:
  • nine packages of 10 HB #2 pencils
  • one mousepad
  • one tenth of a office chair
  • one fifteenth of a pothole repair
  • 6 minutes of a defense attorney's time
  • half of one person's business lunch
  • 5 gallons of jet fuel for Air Force One (yes, I checked the price of jet fuel)
In reality, the nine dollars will probably not be enough to pay the poor soul at the IRS who will process the paperwork. But it's still fun to imagine what to do with $9. Any ideas?

1 comment:

Kyoo said...

Wow! It'll buy 5 gallons of jet fuel?!?! I thought that stuff was more expensive. Heck. Nine bucks won't even buy 5 gallons of "car" fuel. And this whole entry was hilarious by the way. I love making fun of taxes and the government!
As a side note, $9 will also buy most of a cake to celebrate someone's birthday in the office. Very important.