Monday, August 25, 2008

Reason to Love Washington #14

Out-of-Date Police Car Scanners!

I was driving home from a friend's house on a Sunday night around 11:45. Listening to music, I got distracted, and sang along (which takes talent when the music is orchestral, but that's why horn players are cool). I turned (nearly home now), and noticed a car following me. Which was strange because the main street was nearly deserted to begin with, and what would the odds be of the one other car on the road also turning down the same street? Weird. I turned onto my street. The car still followed. Double weird. The car suddenly had flashy lights on it's roof. Red and blue ones, brightly illuminating the otherwise dark street.

Crumbucket.

I pulled over (conveniently, I was already in front of my house). Cop came out. Apparently I had been going 36 in a 25 zone.

Double crumbucket.

"Have you ever had a ticket before?"
"No, sir, and I'm feeling pretty stupid right about now."

Especially since I wasn't even in a hurry. It would be one thing to have a dramatic story to tell the officer, explaining why I was in such a hurry ("I'm in labor!" "My sister called, there's a family emergency!" "I left the oven on!" "I have to pee!"). Any of these would have been better than mine: "Well, I was listening to some music, and there was this great horn line, and so I was singing along to it, and kinda got lost in the moment... and it's not like there are other cars on this road at 11:45 at night or anything, and even when there are, no one keeps to 25 anyway!".

So I chose to not say anything.

Apparently, this is a 120$ fine (speeding, not silence, which is ok now because of the 5th amendment). Have I mentioned I don't have a job? He asked for my license. I passed it over, and explained why it looks weird (it's Canadian!). He looked at my plates. They're from Idaho. Cop was confused as to why I have a Manitoba license, driving a car registered to my name from Idaho, and speeding in Washington. I don't blame him. It took a little while to explain it all. He took my papers back to his car. I assumed a somewhat fetal position, banging my head rhythmically against the steering wheel while muttering: "stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid...".

Cop came back.

I looked up.

He handed me my papers.

Explained that the scanners in his car wouldn't recognize the Manitoba license format, so he couldn't register the ticket.

He eyed me warily, as if to peer into the depths of my soul.
"Watch your speed."

"Yes, sir."

And he was gone.


So, I feel badly for speeding, but I'm very glad that I didn't get a ticket. But I also think it's weird (in an advantageous-to-me kind of way) that their scanners don't recognize Manitoba licenses. I mean, I know that not very many people from Manitoba probably make their way to Washington, and even fewer are dumb enough to speed, and fewer still dumb enough to get caught, but you would think they would have the equipment to deal with that.

Not that I'm complaining. :)

4 comments:

Rebekah Wood said...

I was pulled over in Wyoming once. My brother and I were travelling from Idaho to Georgia and around Rock Springs I was going around 84 mph and I get pulled over just as I cross the crest of the hill. It's a lady cop and she come walking up to my window...but then passes me and I see her hat flying in the wind past my car. ha ha. She recovered the hat and got license and registration and stuff and ends up not giving me a ticket. (Sweet!) I think she was embarrassed about her hat. I think I blame my speeding on the wind in Wyoming. It seriously was blowing the car all over the place---especially forward. :)

Teresa said...

So I laughed forever after you told me this a couple days ago, but it is still just as good the second time around! hahaha Plus I love how you put your $ sign behind the dollar amount. ;)

Jess said...

Love it!! That's so awesome. It sounds like you are having so much fun there. Good luck with your car and all your studying!!

Kyoo said...

Haha, I still LOVE this story.