Saturday, March 14, 2009

It's Saturday!!

I was so excited to wake up this morning and to not have to be anywhere any time soon. It's nice. I spent the night at Katie's again, and am convinced that she has the Best Couch in the World. Really! Today was the first day since Wednesday that I haven't woken up with a migraine (which is weird, because I really haven't gotten them lately at all - the last one before this week was on tour with the Symphony Band in April). So, I am giving credit to the couch. :) I met Katie at her work last night so we could head over to her apartment together. She works at Hogi Yogi, which is a bit of a Utah-Idaho institution... but is basically a fast-food type place, but a little higher up than McDonald's. Anyway, they had some drama there last night - someone graffitied one of their booths. They have security cameras, though, so they'll be able to figure out who did it (only a few people sat at that bench last night). We were talking about it afterward, and just thought it was a little funny - the graffiti was a gang tag (which in and of itself isn't funny), but... a gang tag in Rexburg? Borderline hilarious. What, are they having drug territory wars? It was probably just some 14-year-old who was trying to be cool. Anyway.

I've been thinking of what to do next year... I know I'll be home for a while, but I'm trying to figure out a more long-term plan. I still think that med school is the way to go for me, but I just may have to take a different route to get there. So I'm starting to think of what I need to do to make myself a stronger applicant for next year, and also thinking about possible master's programs. It's a little hard, because I don't have a strong interest in research (last summer cured me of that, haha... sigh), but many programs focus on that. I really just want something that will help me gain a better understanding and perspective in medicine and prepare me for med school. I started thinking about bioethics, which I think would be really neat. The only catch is that there seems to be only one program in all of Canada, at the U of T. And Toronto is a nice city, but... I guess it would just be nice to have a few more options. There are some online master's programs, but I'm pretty wary of those and how useful they would prove to be in further studies and jobs. Another program is a master's of public health, which would be really cool. BYU (Provo) has a great MPH program, and for part of it you get to work in an underdeveloped area of the country or the world and implement a program that you help design (eg. stop smoking program, patient education programs, etc). Which I think would be an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G opportunity! But let's be honest... I'm not sure I could handle Provo! Haha... I guess I'll have to think about things a bit more.

Sometimes I just want to forget about it all and go to law school instead. Sometimes I want to forget it all and be a bum on the street, but of those two options, I'm pretty sure my parents would disapprove of the latter.

Or maybe the former. ;)

3 comments:

R Smith said...

Heh heh, stop smoking program in Utah, isn't everyone there Mormon or something?

When you get back, I can get you in touch with a couple people that might be able to help you figure out what to do to help you get into Med. stuff.

Have fun!

Romy said...

I ate at Hogi Yogi once, in Spanish Fork - it was pretty good! I really liked the frozen yogurt! I'm bummed that Yogen Fruz isn't in the mall here anymore!!

I'm sorry that you're a little unsure about what's up for next year. We'll have to put our heads together and figure it out...over sushi...while watching LoTR...the extended version...;)

Elizabeth said...

Ry-
If everyone in Utah is Mormon, what were you doing down there for two years? ;)

Rome-
I think we'll have to watch all three before I get my life figured out... haha.